Environment sensors are essential for understanding the presence of various toxic gases present in the atmosphere. The environment sensors monitor different air parameters round the clock and help citizens, governments, researchers and different organizations study the source of pollution formation, and their effects on living beings. Further the knowledge on the quality of air around us can help frame better air quality decisions in our day to day life.Our environment monitoring device Aurassure is equipped with wide range of high quality sensors providing high resolution of data that’s extremely reliable.
Carbon Monoxide is a tasteless, odorless and colourless gas formed when carbon containing substances (fossil fuels) burn incompletely because of insufficient oxygen. The gas is highly toxic above the concentration of 35ppm and can lead to death within minutes.Source:10% of the total CO emission comes from fuel combustion in homes and industries, where as emission from mobile sources such as vehicles and construction equipment’s contribute the rest 90%.Health Effect:Exposure to lower level of CO can cause headache, nausea, fatigue, loss of alertness etc. Long term exposure of CO increases heart and circulatory disease and can even cause unconsciousness or death within minutes.Environment Effect:
Recommended Standard:The recommended national air quality standard for CO is 35ppm for 1-hour exposure and 9ppm for an 8-hour exposure period.Applications:
Urban air quality monitoring.
Power stations & furnaces.
Oxygen is a vital gas in the atmosphere necessary for the survival of living beings. The normal concentration of oxygen in the atmosphere is 21%, nitrogen and other trace gases makes up the rest 79%. Any disbalance in the concentration of oxygen is considered dangerous.Source:The main source of free oxygen in our atmosphere is photosynthesis.Health Effect:Exposure to long and large amount of oxygen can damage the lungs. Lower level of oxygen in the air can lead to hypoxia, abnormal fatigue, respiration loss and even death. Oxygen supports combustion therefore can lead to explosion or fire in presence of inflammable substances.Environment Effect
Low oxygen level thins the atmosphere, resulting more sunlight reaching earth surface.
High level of oxygen scatters more sunlight.
Recommended Standard:19.5% is the minimum recommended safe level of oxygen, where as 23.5% volume is the maximum safe level for humans and other living beings.Applications:
Urban air quality monitoring.
Confined space and sealed chambers.
Ozone is a pale blue highly reactive gas with a very pungent smell. Ozone protects our earth from harmful ultra-violet rays of the sun but at the same time is also harmful to living being as the gas is toxic and corrosive in nature.Source:Emissions from vehicles, aircrafts, power plants, forest fires, construction equipment etc. are major contributors of ozone formation.Health Effect:Ozone reaches a very unhealthy level especially during summers causing various health effects. Long and short-term exposure of the gas can affect lungs and respiratory tracts, cause chronic pulmonary disease, damage lungs, increase asthma attacks etc. Ozone can also damage the growth of vegetation.Environment Effect:
Hamper Vegetation Growth.
Recommended Standard:The recommended air quality standard for ozone is 0.12ppm for 1-hour exposure and 0.070ppm for 8-hour exposure period.
Nitrogen oxide or nitrous is an oxide of nitrogen which contributes to the formation of acid rains and photochemical smog. The acidic and corrosive nature of nitrous can affect humans and environment.Source:Almost 38% of total nitrous oxide emission are mainly due to human led activities such as fossil fuel combustion, agriculture and industrial processes.Health Effect:Long term exposure to nitrous gases can cause chronic lung and respiratory disease, reduce the sensing capability of human to smell etc.Environment Effect:
Reduce Crop Yields.
Hamper Vegetation Production.
Fades Fabrics and Furnishing Colours.
Recommended Standard:The recommended air quality standard for nitrogen dioxide 0.053 ppm for an annual exposure period.Applications:
Urban air quality monitoring
Garages & Tunnels
Engine Test Benches
Thermal Power Stations
Sulphur Dioxide gas is toxic with a pungent, irritating smell. It is present in the atmosphere at very low concentrations of about 1ppm. It is one of major air pollutant having significant effect on living beings and environment.Source:Sulphur dioxide gas is released mainly by burning of fossil fuels and by the smelting of ores containing sulphur compounds.Health Effect:Inhaling sulphur dioxide gas can increase respiratory disease, irritating eyes and can even cause premature death. Sulphur dioxide when in contact with air and water forms sulfuric acid causing acid rains.Environment Effect:
Corrosion of buildings and monuments.
Acidification of water bodies.
Recommended Standard:The recommended air quality standard for sulphur dioxide gas is 75ppb for 1-hour and 0.5ppm for 3-hour duration.Application of SO2 Sensors:
Urban Air Quality monitoring.
Pulp and Paper Mills.
Food and Beverage.
Carbon dioxide is a naturally occurring trace gas in the earth’s atmosphere. Carbon dioxide is an important green house gas responsible for climate change.Source:Carbon dioxide is present in the atmosphere in balanced form produced by the respiration of aerobic organisms. However, burning of woods and fossil fuels contribute largely to carbon dioxide emission.Health Effect:Exposure to low concentrations of carbon dioxide gas can damage vision, injure the central nervous system, elevate blood pressure, and can make breathing difficult. Environment Effect:
Recommended Standard:The recommended air quality standard for carbon dioxide gas is 350 - 450 ppm.Application:
Urban Air Quality Monitoring.
Suspended Particulate Matters
Atmospheric particulate matters are suspended microscopic particles of solid and liquid particles present in earth’s atmosphere having adverse effect on human and environment.Source:Naturally particulate matters originate from forest fires, volcanic eruptions etc. Large scale mining and burning of fossil fuel and other industrial activities contribute significantly to particulates in air.Health Effect:Inhaling particulate substances can affect both lungs and heart. Particulate matters inflame lung tissues impacting the function of heart. Long term exposure can also cause heart attacks, difficulty in breathing and other respiratory disease.Environment Effect:Particulate matters are the major cause of haze reducing visibility. They can also damage crops by depleting nutrients of soil.Recommended Standard:The recommended air quality standard for PM10 in the atmosphere is 150 μg/m³ for 24-hour time period. 35 μg/m³ for fine particulate matters PM2.5 for 24-hour time-period.Application:
Urban Air Quality Monitoring.
Mines and Quarries.
Methane is a major constituent of natural gas available in plenty in earth’s atmosphere. Methane is much more powerful gas than carbon dioxide, it has a warming potential higher than carbon dioxide.Source:Methane occurs naturally from the natural decomposition of plants and animals. Human led activities like burning of fossil fuels, vehicular emissions, power plants, storage of natural gas etc.Health Effect:Exposure to methane can trigger headache, dizziness, blurred vision etc. large exposure to methane gas depletes the level of oxygen in body causing suffocation which can be dangerous in some cases.Environment Effect:Methane is a major greenhouse gas contributing to global warming and climate change. Methane is highly flammable gas and therefore should be monitored in mines and power plants and industries.Recommended Standard:The recommended air quality safe level of methane concentration is 1000ppm for 8-hour period.Application:
Urban Air Quality Monitoring.
Pulp and Paper Industry.
Food Processing Industry.
Ammonia is the stable compound of nitrogen and hydrogen but is both caustic and hazardous in its concentrated form. It is characterized by its pungent smell.Source:The natural source of ammonia comes from decaying organic matters and from excreta of living beings.Human Effect:A lower exposure of the gas can cause coughing, nose and throat irritation. Exposure to high concentrations of ammonia may cause burning of eyes, nose, throat and respiratory tract. Swallowing of ammonia can cause corrosive damage to the mouth, throat and stomach.Environment Effect:Ammonia can cause acidification of soils and can have a negative effect on vegetations.Recommended Level:The recommended safe level of ammonia in air is 50ppm whereas the recommended level in water is 35ppm.Application:
Food & Beverage Industry.
Volatile Organic Compounds
VOCs are both naturally and man-made compounds. They have a very high vapor pressure at room temperature. Some VOCs typically have a negative effect on humans and environment.Source:Major source of VOCs are tobacco smokes, vehicular emissions, burning of woods, fuels, paints, perfumes etc.Human Effect:Lower exposure of VOCs can cause irritation of eyes and nose, shortness of breath, fatigue, skin problems etc. Higher exposure of VOCs can damage kidney, lungs and the central nervous system.Environment Effect:VOCs react with other air pollutants such as ground level ozone and smog which are contributors of global warming.Recommended Level:The recommended level of VOCs in indoor air quality is 500 ng/L.Application: